Skip to main content

4/3/19: The luxury of me-time & before the notion of conceiving

One of the biggest lessons I've learned so far about parenthood is that you learn to FULLY appreciate me-time.

It's a bit different from when you become newly single (after you've dated for a period of time). That's when you find a renewed sense of independence and source(s) of internal happiness.

THIS new parenthood me-time is when you really start to appreciate the little things in life that you didn't even know were a luxury before. Having a night of uninterrupted sleep**. Going out to run a quick errand without having the need to rush back. Taking a long hot shower. Being able to eat dinner and just veg out afterwards. Watching a movie in its entirety. Being able to travel freely.

*(I LEGIT was SOOO tempted to go out a get a hotel for a night during one of the first weeks with Mya when we were both sleep deprived.)

Parenthood is not for the weak. You really need to think about it thoroughly beforehand - the fact that you WILL be sacrificing your own life for quite a few years and how much work it will be. I thought I knew that before we tried to conceive and we talked about it. But you really don't fully understand it until it happens. I find myself a pretty self-sufficient and responsible person but OMG, having a baby is HARD - harder than you would ever imagine, and I don't know how so many people do it. Seriously. Carlo says the same thing. Lol.

Even so, the more I think about it, I wouldn't change anything for the world. It's nice to daydream about what I COULD be doing, but at the end of the day, me and Carlo both had accomplished most of what we wanted to do and places we wanted to go without having been 'tied down' with a baby.

Me and Carlo had been married for about 7 months before we talked about really trying. I remember being hesitant and saying, "I thought we agreed on waiting a full year after getting married!" Carlo was more ready and anxious about having kids than I was - then again, he's also 3 years older than me, and he didn't have to think about physically having and delivering the baby. The more I thought about it, what was I really waiting a full year for? I tried to make a mental bucket list of things I wanted to do, but there was nothing I could think of. The only thing I wanted to accomplish was to experience life with my husband (not trying to be corny here, hahah but 'tis the truth!) The one year thing was just a number in my head that sounded like it made sense at the time.

So now, less than a full year later after we talked about conceiving, we have a baby. And I wouldn't change it for the world. Talking about wanting to experience life with my husband?! A baby is definitely a big thing. And I still can't believe we're officially a "FAMILY" now. Carlo was talking about his future in regards to his career earlier this week and how it would affect his family and I immediately thought of us three.. even though he was talking about his family, as in, his parents and siblings. Of course, I jumped and said, "WE'RE a family now!"

Comments