Skip to main content

6/20/19: Whirlwind of 2 weeks! Moving out, first flight WITH and WITHOUT baby, O Canada

Y'all!! I can't believe it's been two weeks since my last post. A LOT has happened and I haven't had any time to sit still, let alone, write.. especially since Carlo only has about 10 days here in SF and then he's gone to Kentucky. So I should have lots of more free time then.

WEEK 1 OF 2 UPDATE!

Friday-Monday 6/7-6/11:
Essentially, during this time, we were packing up our entire apartment. Hard to do when you have a baby to look after (essentially, it was me taking care of the baby, while my mom did a lot of cleaning/packing, and then Carlo doing all the hard work of moving heavy furniture and all of our things to storage in lots of mini trips (let alone going up 3 flights of narrow stairs up and down on his own during each of these trips, not to mention, in 70 degree weather.. HOLY SHIT.. it was already hard enough lugging it down, and then to walk back up 3 flights and to do it all again... thighmaster 3000..

Tuesday 6/12:
This was our last day in the apartment and I think we were all anticipating to be out of there at maybe 2-3 PM, doing light cleaning and packing the remainder of our stuff (the majority of it being kitchen stuff).. It seemed like it wasn't gonna be that much work but we didn't get out of there until 6 PM! It was a ton of work. And we had to do it all around a baby's sleep schedule, trying to keep quiet while moving and cleaning. The last 3-4 hours, Carlo already packed the baby bed away and we didn't really have anywhere to put her down so my mom or me had to either watch or hold her the whole time. We didn't take into account that really only 2 people could do all the work because one person always was always tied down with not being able to help out with the move since one person always had to watch or hold the baby. ANYWAY, that day really flew by quick. We finished everything around 6 and stayed at a hotel that night before we flew out. OF COURSE, they didn't have any crib for us (there was only one crib on the whole property), and so, Mya ended up sleeping in our arms. (Now we know to specifically request a crib beforehand..) She did about 2.5 hours in my mom's arms and then she slept the rest of the night in mine. I pretty much was in a sideways weird position so that the baby could be comfortable. Wasn't a restful night for me or my mom but definitely wanted both Carlo and baby to rest up. Oh yeah, it fucking sucks to try to have a baby sleep in the same room too when you're trying to unpack and use the bathroom quietly.. talk about walking on eggshells!

Wednesday 6/13:
FLIGHT DAY! 6 check-in luggages for all of us. Of course, Carlo HATED this because we usually travel like minimalists. We regularly never have check-in bags, even for international for tips. Surprisingly 2 of those were my moms and only 2 were strictly for the baby. I had watched some traveling with baby videos probably a week or two beforehand so I got a good tip to wear a nursing tank and a long/big cardigan so that's what I did. Easy access to nurse the baby when needed. I was anxious about Mya being a crazy loud baby on the plane, but thankfully that wasn't the case. She didn't nap too much beforehand, so I was scared she was going to be loud and fussy on the plane, but she ended up sleeping during takeoff (so lucky!). Overall, she slept for about half the flight, and the time that she was awake, she wasn't bad at all.. I wouldn't say she was any more troublesome than usual. She seemed to really like looking at the lights and the air circulator things above us. It was just hard being in a cramped space holding the baby (since we only had lap seats).

First night we spent at Carlo's house. Her sleep wasn't great, I think she woke once every 2 hours.. I think with adjusting to the new place, new smells, new people. I bought a white-noise machine to be sent to their house before we left and that was super clutch, especially since the room we stayed in was right next to the kitchen. His house ended up being too crowded (and there are also 2 dogs..) so we ended moving to my house in the Richmond with my mom's the next night.

Thursday 6/14:
I don't even know what we did on that day! I think we were adjusting and moving to my mom's place, especially because I wanted Mya to get accustomed to my mom's place at least one night before me and Carlo flew out to Canada for a friend's wedding.. knowing that she didn't seem to adjust too well at Carlo's place. Thankfully, she seemed to do well, probably because the whole place smells like my mom and she spends loads of time with her (seriously, she is like her second mom and probably spends equal time with both of us!). But man,

Friday 6/15:
We flew out on this day! It was a whirlwind before we left. Our mind and things were all in shambles, lol,   it was stressful to move everything, unpack for my mom's house, and then repack for the Canada trip. All I knew was that I just needed my dress, shoes, wallet, ID, and phone, and everything else I could buy, if I forgot anything. I didn't forget anything though ;) Even though baby wasn't going, you always still have to consider additional steps and time before leaving, making sure she has everything she could possibly need while you're gone and then trying to decide whether to nurse her or not before leaving.. Anyway! The flight out to Canada was SO easy lol compared to the 2 days before. Just the two of us, with ONE carry-on and being able to walk around freely and not have to think about anyone but ourselves. WOW. What a freaking luxury. Ideally, I should have probably napped on the flight because I was lacking sleep for the previous two days, but we were both so excited to watch a movie because we haven't watched one in MONTHS! Caught up on Captain Marvel (yay!) but still have yet to see the Avenger's Endgame. Got to Canada and our hotel, and again, everything was a whirlwind because I had about only 45 minutes to get ready for dinner AND pump out my milk. Of course, we ended up being a tad late, because breastpumping takes at least 20 minutes. Another factor that involves the baby, even if you aren't physically traveling with a baby. But yeah. It was so nice having dinner and being to catch up with folks.. without any interruption! Plus, we hadn't seen some of our friends in a year.

Saturday 6/16:
Our friend's wedding was in Banff National Park and we stayed right by Lake Louise (literally a 10 minute walk). We had some time before the wedding and we probably SHOULD have done more planning/sightseeing when we were there since it's a HUGE and beautiful park.. but honestly, we didn't have ANY time to think the last 2-3 weeks with the move. Honestly though, we were just there to see our friends get married and it was a bonus that it was in such a beautiful setting. Plus, this was also our vacation and we just wanted to spend some nice quiet time with each other.. because we never get any quiet time anymore! Prior to the wedding in the evening, we just had a small stroll around Lake Louise, enjoyed a nice breakfast and lunch at the hotel, and then spent it getting ready (doing my hair and makeup!). Now that I think back on it, it was so nice and relaxing - lol - just even doing my hair and makeup in peace and quiet! It's so different doing that with a baby around. Everything is a freaking luxury! Wedding was beautiful and the weather was perfect - especially since it said rain/thunderstorms in the forecast a couple of days before. Carlo is extremely close to this friend and it was like seeing your little sister get married :) so many happy tears and heartfelt moments!! Very intimate wedding with I think only 30 people. Very honored to have been a part of it!!

Comments