Skip to main content

2/21/19: Postpartum update week #1

One week has passed!

General updates:

THE MOST IMPORTANT: SLEEP:
I have been running on probably 1-2 hours of sleep every day for about 5 days. Mostly because baby has been nocturnal. But, I think we're turning the tide here.. last two days, she actually slept through most of the night and I got a stretch of FOUR HOURS of sleep!! (Mya slept from 11:30 PM - 5:45 AM - yayyy).

Surprisingly though, the lack of sleep hasn't gotten to me. Though I think you just get used to it, lol, or maybe your body, as a new mom, adapts?? Or you know that you have a greater purpose than yourself and that's more important than anything. Feeding every 2-3 hours for the first few days is no joke. If your mom breastfed you when you were a baby.. OMG.. you need to show her some extra love.

BODY:
Still sore up there but I think Mya has been getting the hang of latching properly so I haven't gotten WORSE, but it's still sore. I walk around with my top off most of the time to let it air dry 'cause I LATHER ON that nipple balm - lol. I was self conscious a bit with that at first with my mom around and whatnot, but fuck it, she's another female and she's my MOM and has seen/known pretty much everything about me anyway!

Down there, still sore. I didn't feel sore down there 'til day 2 actually and it was pretty bad. I tused the numbing spray they provided one time but I didn't feel like it helped, so I haven't used it since. As of yesterday though the soreness/pain went down to probably below average and I can sit without cringing or wincing. What a life.

My stomach.. I haven't cared too much about that but I know people are probably wondering. To be honest, I only looked at it the first day out of my own curiosity, and I only looked at it now for the update! (My stomach always covered by the hospital-provided high waisted mesh underwear (more on this in a later post, probably).  Day 1 after coming back, my stomach still looked about week 32 (from looking at my Instagram), but it felt deflated and like straight up SQUISH. Zero muscle. Zero definition. Kinda just hanging a bit b/c it didn't have a baby in there anymore. Lol.

Now, one week later, I look already more like week 23!! Pretty surprised. Your body loses a ton of fluid the first few days after birth (through urine and sweat) and my uterus is going to be dispelling discharge from the baby for the next 4-6 weeks. In addition, your uterus also contracts to get back to pre-pregnancy size over the next few weeks with time and breastfeeding. Still have the linea negra going down the middle.
I've also been drinking raspberry leaf tea, which may or may not have helped. A lot of women drink it starting their third trimester to help strengthen their uterus. I only bought it like a week prior to delivering the baby, but read that it's good to drink it post-baby too.

My lower back felt super weak when I came home! Body probably needs to adjust back to my new 'body' post-baby (losing proooobably 10-15 lbs so quickly with the baby + afterbirht) and it's probably also weak from me working to push out the baby. Also could be my posture when I'm breastfeeding. Lots of things. Definitely gonna try to work out my lower back before I even work on abs.

And about weight and abs. Don't have a plan for that at all. My priority is just to make sure I eat wholesome and healthy and provide enough for the baby. I don't have a goal to get back to 'pre-pregnancy' weight - I'm just gonna see where my body wants me to be after.

MYA:
She was pretty nocturnal the first few days, and I think she's starting to switch to OUR schedule, which is great! Hopefully this means more sleep for me.

She is super cute - when she's not gassy!! She gulps and swallows down pretty hard when she feeds so she swallows a lot of air too, which means gas. The first few days were PRETTY BAD. She screams and is inconsolable when she's gassy. Strong lungs, yo. But we think it was because we laid her down immediately after she would eat. So now we make sure to sit her up for at least 5 minutes before laying her down, and if we do lay her down, at an angle so she's not just flat. And she's MUCH better now, no frequent crazy crying spells.

My favorite moments with her are when she's feeding - because she's sooo peaceful and it's our quality time together. My favorite face of hers is after she's full from feeding and she looks drunk/confused/sleepy. Hehehehe.

Looking back at pictures from even just a week ago, she's grown so much already!Trying to make sure I have my phone around me more to take pictures of her because literally EVERY day she will only ever get bigger and older! Carlo's really good at staying on top of that though, hehe.

OK, I think that's it for now. I didn't realize this was going to be so long. Til next time!

Comments