Skip to main content

12/07/19: I'm working again!

Damn, it's been over 2 months since I last had an update about myself!
Soooo. I'm working again! At a new job. I just started on Monday at Yelp.

That wasn't really the plan. I was gonna go back to work at my current job, but it didn't pan out. I didn't envision really starting to work until next year, since Mya's bedtime is still so early (at 6) and starting at a new job would probably require me to work longer hours or come home later... especially since we live out in Forest Hills and it takes about 45 minutes to get into the city.

I figured I could at least brush up on my interviewing skills so that I could be more ready by early next year and sent resumes out, not really expecting much.. lo and behold, Yelp was the first company that called me back - even though I was excited, I didn't really want to get my hopes up, but I surprised myself and got through all 3 rounds (I should really give myself more credit!!). I think I got a job offer 3 weeks after the initial interview. I found out when my mom was visiting us in about mid-November.

But yea! I just started on Monday at the start of December after Thanksgiving. It was a whirlwind of a first week but I'm happy to be challenged and doing something new. The company culture and just company in general is so different! I won't get too much into it in case I'd break company code or something! It's definitely different working for a big company with so many people and hierarchies.. overwhelming when all I've known is mid-sized agency life. Cool to actually have a cafe and free food and snacks now! And working in Flatiron. I really like it.

First time juggling career and mom life. It sucks leaving at 4 PM (especially on my first week of work and people around me are probably like.. why is she leaving so early.. but I worked it out with my boss to work 8 AM-4PM.. she's out in SF though). I still get home at 5 and only get less than an hour with Mya before her bedtime. Same thing in the morning, I probably only get an hour with her and I have to drop her off early because I'm trying to get to work early :((

Anyhow! That's me right now. Honestly there wasn't too much in between now and the last 2 months except my mom came to visit for about 2 weeks just before Thanksgiving. Glad she got to see the baby and be so happy and also glad that we got to spend time together since we had more flexibility of Mya being at daycare for a part of the week.

The holidays aren't that great out here since it IS really just me and Carlo, so we don't get the big (and multiple) family and friend dinners/Friendsgivings and stuff, but it'll still be nice doing everything for the first time now as a FAMILY! I don't think we're doing that much this year since Mya doesn't understand too much right now, but I'm super excited for next year's holiday season! :)

Comments